“I will sing and make music to the Lord.”

2.25.2012

Well, I joined a choir. When Brook first suggested it to me, I was totally on board.

and then it all started to actually happen.
and I was terrified. 
DSC00815
Waiting for practice to start
Joining this choir meant doing this alone. It meant not having Brook or the other missionaries there to be my safety net. It’s all me. I walk to the church with the a few of the choir members. It’s a long walk. Especially when I can barely talk to them. It’s easy for me to talk to my teachers or the workers at Brook’s. I can ask silly questions like “What did you eat for breakfast?” Because I know how to say that. But talking to a teen here? scary. What would I say? The most I choked out tonight was “Do you like to sing?” Duh. They’re in a choir for heaven’s sake. 
DSC00841
missing some of our members, but here we are!
Anyways, when everyone arrives, practice begins and I fumble along on the dance moves and mumble a few words I catch here and there. I’m sure I look ridiculous, and the village kids like to come watch us, which I have the feeling is more about the fact that a crazy white girl is trying to be in a choir than a love of music. One of the youth agreed to translate, which is helpful. But like I said before, it’s still scary. The girls especially are really shy, which is more of a cultural thing than anything else. 
DSC00818
Benito, my translator, and I
The reason why I’m scared is because I so badly want to get to know them. I’m scared because I’m forced to be vulnerable. I’m scared because I really care about them and I don’t want to mess up this one shot I have to reach them. But as scared as I am, I look forward to it everyday. I have fun there. I feel like I am a part of their lives there. Tonight, both Teno I messed up a dance step and shared a smile. Darling reader, that’s huge. She actually looked at me and smiled. I pray that in time I will be able to touch them as they have already touched me.  
DSC00832
practicing some dance steps :)
We practice Monday, Wednesday, Friday at around 5pm. On these days, at around 9am (remember the 8 hour time difference) if you are ever thinking of this ministry, say a little prayer for me, for the members of the choir, and for a breakthrough. I’m resting in the Lord’s strength and wisdom, for Christ’s love is far greater than any cultural or language barrier. May I reflect His love. Thanks darling reader,
-Em

Technorati Tags: ,,

4 comments:

Adam Wurst said...

Emily, I am so pleased that you are running after God with your gift of music! His Spirit in you is warm and inviting and filled with joy. I know that others already see that in you. Keep dancing and singing :) Your life is a blessing!

Vicki said...

You are going to have to teach us your dance moves when you get back!! Looks like you are having fun and praising God all the while! I am sooo proud of you Em!! Love you and praying continually for you :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I want to learn these dance moves too! Glad to see some pictures of this. And I am glad you have the opportunity to step out and do something alone which means you will have to rely on God all the more. And I am glad its with students because then you can be a youth leader with me someday. ha. Praying for you!

Love Tati

tagal said...

Enjoying your blog Emily...keep up the great work for Him!

Post a Comment