Rukwa Valley: classical music in unexpected places

3.19.2012

Latest update: I took a little trip! I went to stay with the Benton family in the Rukwa Valley for about 2 weeks. It’s  a 4-6 hour drive from Mumba (my home) depending on the roads and weather. It’s a really drastic difference in climate (it gets really hot!) as it is at least a 5,000 ft. difference in elevation. I’ve had SO much fun spending time with the families down here and sharing in their ministries. I do have to admit, it was nice to have a bit of a break from language school and just experience life in the valley.

Because the ministries are SO diverse and there is SO much to share, I thought I would do several different posts on my time spent there. I hope you don’t mind, darling reader.

One of the big areas that I was able to help with was in music lessons for the missionary kids. They are so blessed to already have a classical music training in the bush wilderness being so far removed from everything. Jodi Guilzon has done a great job teaching them!
IMG_0037
Voice lessons!
We put together a recital for them and featured Leah Benton, who is a Senior this year. It was a really special evening for everyone! 
IMG_0071
putting my conducting classes to good use...
The Lord’s timing is so perfect in enabling me to come and share and work with them. They are such a talented bunch of kids and I was so grateful to be a part of the recital. I’m so proud of them!
IMG_0098
the whole bunch! We had piano, flute, violin, guitar, ukelele, and vocals

0 comments:

Post a Comment