Camp Rukwa: a change in me

7.03.2012

IMG_0315
such a gorgeous view!
Well, the last week of camp is done. I have to say, the past three weeks have been quite a ride. I have been humbled and inspired, torn down and built up, frustrated and encouraged, emptied and filled up, all throughout these few short weeks.
DSCF6198
Dancing during gathering time

IMG_0414
Swahili version of "Duck, Duck, Goose"... yes, please.
This week we were in the Rukwa Valley, If you recall from previous months, I got a chance to visit the missionaries down in the Valley towards the beginning of my time here. I had only pleasant and warm memories of the valley from my first stay, so naturally I was thrilled to go back down for another visit. The kids this week were so full of life and energy. I’ve never seen so much dancing and enthusiasm. This was a such an encouragement to us to keep going, as we and the translators and other full time staff were exhausted and many of us sick.
IMG_0354
Guys taking a little nap in the truck.
They had a delighted audience of village kids watching!
DSCF6433
Fixing the Ugali, Beans and Greens at meal time. yum.

IMG_0432
We took a hike on a break and got a bit lost. We were exhausted by the end!
As far as our living conditions go, this week we didn’t stay in the village. One of the missionary families is in America at the moment, so we got to stay in the house and have beds, showers, “normal” toilets, and best of all, a much needed daily morning cup of coffee! Yes, darling reader, believe it or not, I had been living without my precious coffee the first two weeks.
Reflecting upon this experience, I have as if there has been a change in me, but I’m having a hard time articulating exactly what those changes are. I suppose I have learned to appreciate the material blessings God has given me, and yet at the same time I now know that I could live without them. The material things which seemed so valuable to me before don’t seem so valuable anymore in comparison to things like community, relationships, and fellowship.
DSC02078
Another thing. This week the campers seemed to just have a thirst for learning… At one point, while I was teaching one of my daily classes this thought was heavy on my heart:
DSCF6384In the inexperienced hands that held the paintbrush I handed them, I saw an artist. In the eager expression of the young man watching a water filter being crafted, I saw an inventor or engineer. In the mouths that asked continual questions about the human body and how it works, I heard the voice of a doctor or nurse. In the energetic feet that danced and the clear songs that seemed to burst out from deep inside of them, I saw the makings of a performer and musician.
Given an opportunity and the right resources, I believe these young people could reach that potential. I hope I was able to give them a glimmer of hope, and inspiration to strive for a bright future so that they work hard through their education and work.
But above all, in the hearts that were desperately seeking for love, I saw one who could be eternally filled with the love of Jesus Christ.
11 young people made the choice to be eternally filled this week.
To God be all glory and honor.
IMG_0348
DSC02200
 Nathan, Ryan, Shaina and I. We made it!
Here's Shaina's blog with more pictures and stories! Friday we begin our journey to Dar to drop off Nathan and pick up Denise, who will be helping with the worship seminar.

In Christ,
em

0 comments:

Post a Comment