Graduation week

5.01.2012

If I wasn’t halfway across the world, I would have been busy with graduation last week… To be honest, darling reader, there were a few bittersweet moments, knowing that I wasn’t around to celebrate all the hard work from these last few years with my friends and family, but TZ had many wonderful activities to keep my mind off all the events at home!

This included an scrumptious pizza party, a birthday party for Jenna (one of the missionaries serving here), and a trip to town. One of the biggest highlights though, was camping on Mt. Memya. The Mumba missionaries packed up some gear and hiked up the beautiful mountain and camped out to see the sunrise in the morning.
IMG_5613

DSC01417 - Copy
I’m not typically the “outdoorsy” type (is that an understatement?), but I enjoyed the trip immensely! Being surrounded by the breathtaking view, the challenge of the hike, the camaraderie and fellowship with friends made it the perfect little getaway.  Here is a link to an album detailing our trip. (you don’t need a Facebook account to view!)

IMG_5795 - Copy
can you spot us?
IMG_5832
cue the Lion King theme song...
Sunday, we had a joint service outside with three of the area churches and I got to perform with my choir.
DSC01470

To top it all off, my little Mumba family threw me a surprise graduation party last night! They had me wear a cap (homemade by Jenna) and gown for the evening and we celebrated with cupcakes and tea. I was so touched! In retrospect, my graduation week was lovely, and knowing that this is where God has called me I wouldn’t want to be any where else in the world…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet your little African celebration was lovely. That's awesome that Jenna made a cap for you. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily, this is Gabi, you stayed at my house when you came to Florida with Grace Singers, remember?! :) I've been enjoying reading about your adventures in Africa! I'm so sorry you missed your graduation... I know the feeling, I missed my High School graduation when I moved here, and it was really hard seeing all my friends graduating and not being able to be there, but the Lord has a purpose! I'm glad you had a little special graduation party :) Those pictures are GORGEOUS, what a beautiful place! Oh, and I'll be going to Grace in the fall!! :) Praying for you, dear!

Post a Comment